Your other half has got down on one knee and popped that all important question. Now comes the fun part, planning your wedding!
Many newlyweds-to-be have spent years dreaming about a large, traditional wedding – think grand venues, opulent décor and indulgent meals, surrounded by your nearest and dearest, as well as almost every acquaintance you’ve happened across over the years.
But fairy-tale weddings are not just a lot of work to plan, they can also be extremely stressful, not to mention expensive.
With this in mind, an increasing number of happy couples are choosing to say “I do” on a much smaller scale, keeping things intimate with fewer guests.
What is considered an intimate wedding?
A wedding with between two and roughly 50 guests is considered to be a small, intimate wedding. Fifty guests might sound like a lot, but once you take into account the close families of those getting married, the wedding party and just a handful of close friends, it’s far easier to reach than you would think.
Why a small, intimate wedding?
If you’re planning a wedding in London, opting for a small, intimate day can bring with it a whole host of benefits.
Here are just some of the benefits of opting for an intimate wedding:
- It’s easier to plan – Planning a wedding is no easy feat. And the larger it is, the more challenging and, let’s face it, time consuming, it will be to plan. A smaller wedding typically means a shorter to do list and a smaller number of things to consider.
- It’s more affordable – Ultimately, the cost of a wedding is pretty much based on the number of guests. So, it goes without saying that the fewer guests you have at your wedding, the lower the costs. If you’re working to a budget, cutting down your invite list will allow you to ensure the day is exactly as you imagined it, without breaking the bank.
- Attention to detail – When you’re planning a small wedding, you have more time (and energy) to focus on the finer details of the day.
- Quality time with your guests – If you have a huge wedding, with 150 guests or more, it can be hard to ensure you say hello to each of your guests, let alone spend quality time with them. Keeping things small will mean that every guest plays a role in your big day.
Intimate wedding receptions
Whether you’re planning a huge, all-singing, all-dancing London wedding reception, or a small wedding in the capital, there are a whole host of things to consider.
Here are just some of the things to consider when arranging an intimate wedding reception in London:
- Keep the guest list small – It’s easy for your guest list to get out of hand, but your wedding will only be intimate if you keep it small. So, when you’re compiling your list, be firm and stick to the numbers you have agreed on.
Of course, a small guest list can create disappointment, as family and friends who would expect to be invited are left of. Be ready to explain that you and your partner have opted for an intimate wedding and that the guest list is very small. This should help people understand the reasons behind their lack of invite.
- Choose an intimate venue – When choosing a venue for your intimate wedding in London, it’s important to keep the number of guests in mind. That spacious hall you’ve seen might be impressive, but will it feel empty with so few guests?
A smaller wedding also opens up a whole world of opportunities when it comes to unique and non-traditional venues. From restaurants and gardens, through to galleries, wine bars and even private homes.
- Focus on the important things – When you’re planning your small reception, think about the things that matter to you, rather than what you think you need to do to please everyone else. The people there will be your absolute nearest and dearest and, if you’re happy, they will be happy.
- Attention to detail – If your London wedding reception is smaller, every last detail counts. Pay attention to every last detail when you’re planning and make sure that everything is exactly how you want it.
The Grubstreet Author is a relaxed London wedding venue that’s ideal for small, intimate wedding celebrations. Bringing together chic design and traditional architecture, it’s the perfect spot for a contemporary wedding or civil partnership in a stylish environment in the very heart of London.
Our dedicated wedding planner will provide full support, helping you plan the intimate wedding you’ve always dreamed of. To find out more or to discuss your ideas for your big day, please get in touch.